A healthy raw food detox diet may greatly assist the body's natural processes of eliminating toxins, heavy metals, chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, food additives, congestion, obstructions, undigested food, irritants, parasites and any other substances that hinder the health and function of cells.
The human body is pretty amazing, and can take a lot of abuse. But after years of toxic buildup from an improper diet and/or environmental pollutants, the body may become so overloaded that it can't keep up with the sheer volume of internal “house cleaning” processes needed. Wastes then begin to build up without being removed, blockages form, tissues begin to break down and cellular function may become impaired. And as every system in the body is intimately tied to every other system, these break downs can affect the health of your entire body.
In fact, many symptoms of ill health are simply your body's warning signals that it desperately needs to clean out so it can work properly again. Toxic build up in the colon, for example, has been tied to such issues as migraine headaches, asthma, acne, itchy skin, obesity, bad breath, allergies, depression and even arthritis. Through detoxifying the colon, not only are the toxins removed, but the body is allowed to heal at a profoundly deep level, and many of these issues elsewhere in the body completely resolve.
Undergoing a healthy raw food detox diet consisting of nutritionally rich raw foods gives your body a break from heavy digestive processes while still providing the energy and nourishment needed to sustain important bodily functions. When the body is given this kind of opportunity, it can finally focus it's energies on clearing wastes, obstructions, foreign matter or parasites from tissues and begin the healing process.
Many raw foods are notorious for their cleansing and detoxification properties. Citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges and grapefruits, for example, are unparalleled in their cleansing abilities.
That's one reason why the Master Cleanse, with its lemon cayenne pepper detox drink, has been so successful for all these years, and continues to grow in popularity. This may not be for everyone, but I have personally done the Master Cleanse many times over the years and have found it amazingly effective for my own detoxification, healing and weight loss.The Complete Master Cleanse: A Step-by-Step Guide to Maximizing the Benefits of The Lemonade Diet
by Tom Woloshyn, is my favorite book on the subject. He even discusses how to add Lemon Essential Oil to your drinks to increase their healing power (especially for the liver)!
Other fruits and vegetables in a healthy detox diet possess attributes that are healing for different parts of the body as well as different physical symptoms. Raw cabbage juice, for example, is well known for its ability to help heal ulcers. Celery is often mentioned as a natural blood pressure normalizer.
Many people have had amazing results clearing up specific health issues by simply following a detox juice diet for a period of time. If you own a juicer, you might enjoy experimenting with some juicer detox recipes, and see for yourself how powerful they are.
I've also enjoyed the detoxification process simply through the cleansing properties inherent within the raw food diet. A diet consisting of nothing else but fresh organic fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds is an amazingly clean, super nutritious way to detox the body and improve health on every level. I loved this book by Natalia Rose:The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
and you might enjoy looking into her book, or some of the other incredible raw food detox books I've listed for you.
1. Start by eliminating from your diet all those foods and beverages that obviously add to your toxic load. This would include all sugars and highly refined flours, processed foods of all kinds and all chemicals and food additives, just for starters.
2. Take it a step further and start removing all toxic cleaning products, personal hygiene products and other substances out of your lifestyle and replace them with non-toxic alternatives.
3. Add more clean pure water into your diet so you become well hydrated to flush out the toxins. Add a few drops of lemon essential oil for increased cellular cleansing and support of liver health. And beware of contaminated tap water! Please filter your water - for the sake of your health!
After extensive research, we chose to install one of the most effective Whole House Water Filtration systems available (click link to learn which company we chose). This technologically advanced system provides us with 99% chemical free water and removes chlorine, chloramines, cysts, VOCs, sediment, bad tastes and odors, dangerous chemicals, carcinogenic chlorination byproducts & more. Not only is this system considered the best performing water filter in the industry, it is so reasonably priced, we pay just pennies per gallon. We are very pleased!
4. Increase the number of servings of fruits and vegetables in your diet, whether cooked, lightly steamed or preferably raw. Buy organic whenever possible.
5. Begin eliminating all animal foods from your diet until you are eating a 100% vegan diet. This means removing meat, pork, fish, chicken, eggs and dairy from your diet. These foods are often contaminated with undesirable chemicals and microorganisms. Plus, when they are cooked, their proteins become denatured and are difficult to digest. Contrary to popular belief, they are not health giving, they are harmful to health.
6. Begin eliminating all grains from your diet, especially wheat and other high-gluten grains that are problematic for most people who don't even realize this is the cause behind many of their ill health symptoms.
7. Transition away from eating cooked foods until you are eating 100% raw foods, primarily fresh fruits and vegetables, with some nuts, seeds and perhaps seaweeds or superfoods. This is the typical raw food detox diet.
8. For a period of time, reduce or eliminate all oils and concentrated foods such as nuts and seeds. You are now eating primarily 100% raw fruits and vegetables. My research indicates that following a completely fat-free diet for at least 10 days may be helpful in eliminating candida.
9. To go a step further, juice and/or blend a portion or all of your daily 100% raw vegan high fruit and vegetable diet.
10. Add additional detoxification practices such as skin brushing, rebounding on a mini-trampoline, taking salt baths, massage, deep breathing exercises, meditation, far infrared saunas, de-cluttering, journaling, Emotional Freedom Technique, or go all the way and undertake a serious 5-day nutritive cleanse in addition to your healthy raw food detox diet.
Congratulations, you have just given your body the most amazing gift: the opportunity to heal itself on the deepest levels! You are likely experiencing some amazing changes in your body, from relatively rapid weight loss to the clearing of skin problems to the elimination of pain in your body to the healing of major physical conditions! If your detoxification becomes a bit too intense, and you start experiencing what is called the “healing crisis,” just step back a step or two until the healing symptoms are more bearable, and then go forward again as soon as you feel ready. I found that my "healing crisis" (not feeling well because the body is releasing loads of toxins) only lasted a couple of days, then I felt better than ever before!